The coronavirus, how does it work?
- 3 februari 2020
- Niveau: Havo/vwo bovenbouw
- Bron: TED
You have probably heard of the new coronavirus and the fact that it is quite probably an animal virus. But how does this work? Let’s find out.
Discuss in groups of four:
- What do you know about the coronavirus?
- Do you know any other viruses that humans have to deal with and that have come from animals?
Read the next questions thoroughly. Then watch the video and answer the questions.
Take notes about how virus jump from one species to another. After you’ve watched the video you will get a few minutes to complete your notes.
- Why was the health department in Maryland only concerned with the humans and not with the pigs?
- Is every animal virus dangerous to humans.
- When is a virus not able to jump from one species to another?
- How do viruses adapt so well to other species?
Take a few minutes to finish your notes.
- Compare and contrast your notes on the video with your group mates. How are your notes different from those of your classmate?
- Do you think we should worry about the coronavirus? Why?
- How is the coronavirus related to SARS?
- The coronavirus originally comes from which animal?
- What is pneumonia is Dutch?
- When should you visit a doctor, according to the article?
- After seeing the numbers from the article, are you starting to worry about this new coronavirus? What do you think we can/should do about it?
Wilt u meer weten over onze Engelse methode Stepping Stones?