Tabloid racism ‘large part’ of why Harry and Meghan left the UK
- 6 april 2021
- Niveau: Havo/vwo bovenbouw
Megan and Harry gave an explosive interview in which they explained that tabloid racism was one of their reasons to leave the UK. Of course racism is not only a problem in the UK. What role does the media play in perpetuating or tackling racism? Let’s find out more!
Watch the news report of BBC News (1:44 – 8:10 minutes).
Questions about the video:
- How did the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Meghan and Harry, experience racism in the UK?
- Why are people so surprised about racism in the UK? How did the Commonwealth influence their former ideas about racism in the UK?
- How did people in the US and the UK respond to the interview?
- How did both Meghan and Harry’s wedding and the interview influence people’s ideas about the British Royal family?
Do you want to learn more about this topic? Read this article from The Guardian about racism in British media and answer the questions below.
Questions about the text:
- Does Joseph Harker think the British newspapers make sufficient efforts towards diversity? Why?
- Find at least two examples that Joseph Harker mentions to support his statement: ‘there are stark contrasts in the way Black and white people are reported on.’
- What needs to be done to tackle the problem of racism in British newspapers according to Joseph Harker?
- Have you seen examples of racism in the media lately? What happened?
- What could tabloids and other media do to reduce racist ideas in society?
- What can we, consumers of news and media, do ourselves to reduce racist ideas in society?
Wil je meer weten over onze Engelse methode Stepping Stones?Naar website