New Year’s resolutions, is prohibition a good idea?
- 6 januari 2020
- Niveau: Havo/vwo bovenbouw
- Bron: Youtube
“Happy new year!” This sentence states the start of the new year and it is also a marking point for a lot of new year’s resolutions to begin. Exercising more, eating healthier and drinking less. Talking about the latter, a lot of people are discussing reinstating prohibition. Have you ever heard of prohibition? Let’s find out what happened in the USA when they tried that.
Discuss in groups of fout
- What is prohibition?
- What do you think of prohibition?
- What do you think of the alcohol policy in the Netherlands?
- Name one reason mister Howard mentions in favour of prohibition.
- What did the US government want to achieve with the prohibition according to the clip?
- What ‘tricks’ did some people use to drink anyway? Mention at least three.
- What did Al Capone and Bugs Moran do during the prohibition?
- During the prohibition there was a drop in alcohol consumption, but there also was a down side to it all, what was it?
- Which occurrences led to abolishing prohibition?
- Place the names below into the correct group: in favour or against prohibition.
Southerners, immigrants, women, wets, dries, urbans.
Discuss in groups of four
- Did your thoughts on prohibition change after watching the clip?
- Do you think we should set it up in the Netherlands?
If you are interested in this topic, read this text and answer the questions below.
- What do you think of banning alcohol of planes?
- Do you think the same arguments apply for prohibition and banning alcohol on planes?
- What did the Duty-Free shops think of as a solution and why?
- Does the expert in the text think alcohol will be banned on planes? Why (not)?
Wilt u meer weten over onze Engelse methode Stepping Stones?