Cycling: a sustainable solution to really big challenges of our world?!
- 1 juni 2021
- Niveau: Havo/vwo bovenbouw
- Bron: Financial Times
Cycling is good for the environment, but did you know that bikes themselves could also be sustainable? Besides that, many other positive sides to biking are discovered by Britons during the lockdown. Let’s find out more!
Watch the video from the beginning until 3:52 (Source: Financial Times).
Questions about the video:
- Why is the bicycle business booming?
- How can bikes be sustainable on a small and a big scale?
- How can you ‘measure’ the sustainability of bikes?
- Which incentives help retailers to try and be more sustainable?
- What can customers do to support sustainability goals?
Do you want to learn more about this topic? Read this article from The Guardian about other benefits of cycling.
Questions about the text:
- What does the writer mean with the following quote: ‘policymaking is often out of step with the things we really value in our lives, and yet it shapes them so profoundly that we can lose sight of the fact that even the way we travel every day could be different’ (par 4)?
- Which other ‘really big challenges of our world’ besides environmental problems can biking solve according to the author?
- Why is cycling more popular in the Netherlands than in Britain?
- What is your favourite way to travel short and longer distances? Why?
- What could be necessary for a real cycling revolution in Britain?
Wil je meer weten over onze Engelse methode Stepping Stones?Naar website