From Sinterklaas to Santa Claus
- 5 december 2019
- Niveau: Bovenbouw
- Bron: History
It’s almost December 5th, that means it’s almost ‘pakjesavond’. In many parts of the world they don’t celebrate Sinterklaas, but they get their presents from Santa. How did Santa evolve from our very own Sinterklaas?
- What do you know about Sinterklaas and Santa Claus?
- How do you think the two men are related to each other?
- What is your favourite part about celebrating Sinterklaas?
Watch the video and answer the following questions.
- Santa Clause has changed a lot over the years. Sinterklaas has also changed. How do you think Sinterklaas has changed?
- Obviously, ‘Zwarte Piet’ is often mentioned when discussing Sinterklaas. Why do you think the video does not mention ‘Zwarte Piet’ at all?
- Santa’s naughty and nice list was imagined by Thomas Nast. Similarly, Sinterklaas also has a book to remember what kids did. Why do you think this book is used so much by parents?
Read the article Sinterklaas versus Santa Claus
- The article has some ideas about Sinterklaas that aren’t really true anymore. Which facts about Sinterklaas do you disagree with? Why?
- Do you think these changes are an improvement? Why, or why not?
- What elements about Santa Claus do you wish would apply to Sinterklaas? Discuss with a classmate.
- Who do you prefer, Sinterklaas or Santa Claus? Why?
Wil je meer weten over onze methode Engels Stepping Stones?Naar website