Back to school in the UK
- 3 september 2020
- Niveau: Havo/vwo bovenbouw
- Bron: BBC News
After a lockdown and summer holiday many primary and secondary schools in the UK open again in the end of August. What is it like for students to go back to school ? How do schools take into account the safety measures? Let’s find out!
Watch the video from the start until 4:14. Answer the questions.
- What are reasons to open schools again although there isn’t a vaccine available yet?
- Why are the students happy that the schools open again?
- What is the primary goal of the Education Secretary?
- What are the differences between safety measures that are taken at your school and at the school you see in the video?
- How could the government support the schools that open again?
Do you want to know more about this topic? Read the article and answer the questions.
- What does the ‘bubble’ strategy entail? Do you think your school should use this method as well in order to prevent the corona virus from spreading?
- Can you find any cultural differences between British and Dutch schools from the article? If so, which differences did you find?
- What are the concerns of the school leaders
Discuss in groups of three:
- The students tell they were looking forward to go back to school again for several reasons. Did you look forward to go back to school again? Why or why not?
- One of the pupils in the video says she learns more at school than via digital education. Do you agree? Why or why not?
Wil je meer weten over onze Engelse methode Stepping Stones?Naar website